Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Take 30 Pounds Fresh Roma Tomatoes...

And you get over 2 gallons sauce...
Just to give you an idea...

That's nearly a 7 lb. can by that big pot - and you saw what was in that pot!

Remember I bought 30 lbs. tomatoes along Arthur Avenue last week? Well, today I cooked them. It was a first for me, and I must admit, it took hours of hard labor a while to do - first you blanch, then ice bath, then peel and core, lightly Cuisinart and then put all in the pot to simmer for a bit. Only thing I added was a bit of EVOO (thank you Rachael Ray for that abbreviation). I've boiled it down a bit and tomorrow will bag it and freeze it! Tastes delicious today - can you imagine how good it will be in the cold months of the coming winter? First time I've done this, and will definitely do it again! (It'll be perfect with the 200 ravioli we made last week. Anyone want to come for dinner??)

~~~

xoabb
expect anything!

20 comments:

  1. Looks like you are all set for a long hard winter with that sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ~ I keep saying I am going to do this but then I get a tad overwhelmed with the blanching, icing, seems tricky. But it looks delicious! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes!! There is nothing better than fresh sauce from summer on a cold winter night! And, ravioli to boot!! Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooohhhhh, that looks so fabulous! Do you can the sauce? I've always been very timid when it comes to canning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh..yes. I love some home-made sauce in the middle of winter. I love homemade sauce pretty much any time of year...and with any kind of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum .. did you add any fresh crushed garlic and a small amount of fresh or dried basil?

    ReplyDelete
  7. hours of hard labor, but it SURE LOOKS GOOD! Yummy Yummy for my tummy tummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just let me know what I need to bring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, I do with fresh sauce and pasta? yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmmmm, I am not a tomato fan (I know, I live in the South, and in a county FAMOUS for tomatoes, what can I say?) but I love me some fresh sauce and pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've almost inspired me to go out and get some tomatoes. Almost.

    I have to clean out my deep freeze, out in the garage, first.

    I can only imagine all the goodness you're going to cook up with all that sauce. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word. That looks faboo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait. Did you say you'll be hitting the sauce all winter? I'm DEFINITELY coming over for dinner;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, can almost smell it now! Fantastic -- what is your address again???

    ymmmmmm

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is funny--look at my Sunday post? Only I was making salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yummy! Does that look good!

    Ravioli? 200?!!! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think we need to do a winter version of blogfest at your house! Homemade sauce!!!! wow. Yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It will be well worth every bit of effort! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm THERE for dinner. Ravioli is my favorite Italian thing. Homemade all the better. So impressed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thought. It's appreciated! xoabb