Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The CG... It's Lookin' Better...

Despite all the rain and cool weather we've been having this spring, we Community Garden plotters have been really getting into the swing of things! More and more of the plots have been planted and there has actually been visible plant growth! Our plot is the second one to the right in this photo. It's just been watered. Hmmm...I don't think there should be standing water. Obviously we need to add more peat moss or some such and loosen the soil more. I tell you, this gardening thing is not easy! (Then there's all these smartypants people around us that know exactly what they're doing. I don't like them.)

This weeks growth.
Though there isn't a lot of difference, if you look along the fence on the left, you can see our haricort vert beans that have sprouted! So exciting. The trellis on the right will soon be full of the three pea plants that went in last Sunday.

See our fancy-schmancy neighbors there to the left? Not only do they have a watering system set up, their soil is rich and black and they made themselves an extra herb garden along the fence. Maybe we should do that too.

Our new pea plants. I wonder if they've drowned since they were planted Sunday. We've only had about an ark-worthy amount of rain.

TA-DA! Our haricort-vert beans sprouted from seed! A first for us, though routine for most every other gardener. I hope their climbing fence is high enough. Another aspect of being a first-time veggie gardener...it's all trial and error! We'll go with what works next year and discard what was an abysmal failure.

~Contemplation~
Photo by my sister, Care
June 7, 2009
~~~

xoabb
expect anything!

Except noted, all photos taken by moi
Sunday, June 7, 2009

14 comments:

  1. Love the garden but the automatic sprinkler is a little over the top....only in our county!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello ~ I am back from my blogging break - and just wanted to stop in to check on your corner of the earth. Looks as if you have been very busy. Nice job on the garden. I also have a veggie garden and it is a lot of work. I hope the sun comes shining through soon and warms everything up. Green thumbs to you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's exciting to see gardens growing. All the hard work is worth it when you see those fresh little sprouts coming up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful. Gardens are fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!! the garden is looking great

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazingly, gardens grow no matter what we do to them. That is the glory of gardening. When things really start growing, it's like a new surprise everyday, when you find new growth or have new veggies to harvest. I think you'll be pleased that you did this when it's all said and done.

    Garden On...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there, Annie! Your garden will grow. I have faith in your green thumbs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it thrilling seeing what growth you have so far? You know this is my first year as well and I am loving every single minute of it. Already picking hot banana peppers everyday now. The squash is looking good and so are the cucumbers. I even have some tomatoes finally. LOL.

    I enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first picture looks like something from the Civil War.

    I just planted two or three plants - the first garden of my life - and I seriously considered building a privacy fence between my yard and my very experienced gardening neighbor's. There are things blooming all over the place there. I suspect that something is very wrong with my little garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be Brave! Your garden is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do so wish for raised beds! The soil beneath the grass is hard red clay, not conducive to any sort of real gardening. I'm hopeful that my gardening daughter (if she has time... she's a busy, busy woman) will help me construct one, or two. Probably will be too late for any sort of garden this year, but hope springs eternal.

    Haricot vert. I need to Google that; I thought that was just fancy French words for green beans. I'm partial to Kentucky Wonders, myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss this .. things are looking good ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got chance to walk down to the lower plots today. I think I saw your plot, based on your pictures. Things are growing, so that's good. Yay! You may want to add some compost or manure as a top dressing. We've all found that the dirt around the community garden is clay, which retains water and then cracks as it dries out. You can add the extra stuff around the plants and then use a little hand rake to mix it in.

    I was surpised to see that there are some people completely underwater in the lower plots. The city should build raised beds for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really proud of this. It would be difficult for me to do something like this the first time with pros all around me. I'm a great tomato gardener, and other things that anyone can grow, but something like this is a big deal. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thought. It's appreciated! xoabb