Sunday, November 08, 2009

As Poor As A Church Mouse

"Walking around Brantingham, I noticed this grave with a mouse carving. Looked it up when I got back and found out it was carved by Robert 'Mousey' Thompson of Kilburn (near Helmsley, North Yorkshire, 1876-1919). Thompson's trademark was a carved mouse chosen because he reckoned that the rate of pay for carving church furniture made him as poor as a church mouse."

Thank you Trick75!
Such a wonderful photo!
(thanks mum bum for the heads up!)

~~~

xoabb
expect serenity!


16 comments:

  1. Yes, it is a good photo. Interesting backstory too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting...I don't think I could find anything as unique in the old cemetarys around here. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just wonderful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring my photograph, I'm glad you find it of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very good story behind it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this! If only we could order such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a backstory - beautiful find

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is really cool! I love it!

    Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really neat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 一晩の割り切ったお付き合いで副収入が得られるサイトのご案内です。アルバイト感覚での挑戦もできる、安心の無料登録システムを採用しておりますので、興味のある方は当サイトをぜひご覧ください

    ReplyDelete
  11. 復活、スタービーチ!日本最大の友達探しサイトがついに復活、進化を遂げた新生スタビをやってみませんか?理想のパートナー探しの手助け、合コンパーティー等も随時開催しています。楽しかった頃のスタビを体験しよう

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thought. It's appreciated! xoabb