Wednesday, January 30, 2008

And What Do We Have Here??



The two amaryllis bulbs you see above are at least 12 years old. My Mom and Dad usually send one or two amaryllis plants just enough before Christmas so they're blooming by then. When the bulbs are through blooming, they are usually just thrown away.

I personally have a very hard time throwing any plant that's even barely alive away, so I stuck the two bulbs in a pot in our garage, and forgot all about them.

Springtime rolls around and I need a pot to put aloe vera plants in. I use the pot I'd put the amaryllis bulbs in, totally forgetting I'd done that as there's no sign of the bulbs left. Fast-forward 2 or 3 years. All of a sudden, in the middle of the aloe plants, lo and behold, I notice a shoot coming up....yep, it was the resurrecting amaryllis!

One or both have been blooming at least every other year since! As you can see, this year both bulbs will bloom. Wonder what we'll get? They were solid deep red the first year and they've never been that again. Pictures to come when we finally have blooms!

~~~
xoabb


P. S. Black Watch plaid ribbon as an amaryllis tie-up. Don't ya LOVE it??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thought. It's appreciated! xoabb