Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Haulin' That Bad Boy In...

We had a bit of a tragedy (at least to me) yesterday on my beloved pond. Sometime Sunday morning one of the trees on it's edge came crashing (I would assume) down, covering an alarming amount of the pond's surface area. Of course, it needed to be removed immediately, because even though we four families that keep this pond going are nature-lovers, we are also lovers of beauty, and that downed tree was marring our pond beauty!

To say this tree was large is most definitely an understatement. Look at the pulley system the tree guys had to invent! (Click on any photo for a larger view.)  The first time I looked, there was a guy up in that tree, he was at least 40 feet off the ground, didn't look to have a safety harness (tho I'm sure he did), and he was jumping around on the branches attempting and finally succeeding in throwing his orange rope over a strong branch so the fallen tree could be hoisted from the water/woods. If you look carefully on the right, you can see the truck one end of the rope was attached to. The other end was attached to the tree trunk, as you can see below.

After the rope was attached half-way up the trunk,
the chainsaw cut through it.
As it fell free, the truck started forward.

Up and over to the yard it goes...

The guys get ready with their rope to pull it over solid ground

It took them more than a few times,
but teamwork won out!
The trunk was ultimately hauled onto land,
cut up and hauled away.


Before...

After...
Just a little sawdust left behind.
Those tree guys are good!
And I had a blast watching them
for the better part of my afternoon!

~

Of course, since the tree fell down when no one was awake/around to see or hear it, this begs the question:

"If a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a noise?"

~~~

xoabb


12 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I don't know? Geez, now I'm going to be thinking all night...maybe it didn't really fall...and just laid down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have turned into such a softie that all I can think is that I hope there were no baby birds in there...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alls well that....those tree guys are pretty amazing aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice series - though I was missing one "before" pic! :)
    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lot of work! Looks like quite a system with the pulleys. I think in the quote it says: "If a tree falls in the forest"....this one fell in a pond, so it doesn't count :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by!

    Plan on coming back this afternoon when I have more time and do some back reading on your blog.

    Hallie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love trees, so it saddens me when one bites the sawdust. Anyway, it is always an amazing job to take down a tree. We've been there, and you definitely need the insured workers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would think in this case "splash" would be the noise. You have a better view of the little shed now :)

    Go outside with glasses if you need them. Sit down and seek for clovers and you shall find :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have something for you at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the first photo I thought it had fallen on the shed. You do have a lovely place there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool post, Annie! I think it makes a noise. I've always thought that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thought. It's appreciated! xoabb