Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hey You! Is it Safe Yet??

Fun on the golf course...well...not for everyone:

Last week Jules, Mental Mama, a good friend of ours and I played a round of golf. Quite poorly, all of us, but that's entirely another story. (And nothin' that a nice Margarita at the end of the round didn't take care of, thank you!) In the middle of the round, we watched the above fellow (a young groundhog) slowly waddle across the fairway in front of us, seemingly without a care in the world, until, all of a sudden, a young hawk (I think, but could have been a young osprey) swooped down heading straight at groundhog! Groundhog was quite close to the tree and had the good sense to run as quickly as he could to it. Then hawk, because he was only looking at groundhog and not where he was flying, promptly managed to somehow run into the tree trunk.  Thank God for that, or there would have been carnage, and I don't like my golf game disturbed by carnage, thank you very much! After he got himself together, hawk flew to a low branch on another tree close by, but all the while staring at groundhog, who was not moving a muscle. 
We were close enough to see hawk getting ready to once again try to make groundhog his lunch when, out of nowhere, mocking bird flew in and started attacking hawk! That mocking bird pestered hawk so thoroughly, he finally gave up and flew away.  Groundhog stayed frozen right where he was, looking all around for a good five minutes before he finally skedaddled fast across the next fairway and into the brush.  That little old mockingbird saved the day as far as I'm concerned! (Yeah, yeah I know, that old circle of life thing...PLEASE, just not in front of me!) NICE!

P. S. - I was sure I'd also taken a most ~fabulous~ picture of mocking bird attacking hawk on the tree branch, but when I got home, I discovered I had taken a picture of an empty tree branch. That's what happens when you're old and forget your reading glasses at home, the outcome of which is you don't have a snowball's chance in you-know-where of seeing your camera monitor clearly. Hey! I guess was lucky I got ground hog's picture!  

~~~

xoabb

P.P.S. - Regarding that first picture of the hand of cards for yesterday's Y post:  A yarborough in bridge (or whist) is a hand that has no card higher than a 9, i.e., no honors cards.  Nope, that is not a good thing.

18 comments:

  1. That was a hard pic you got...almost impossible for those little elusive fellows...nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your details description including the last part. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny! Thanks for stopping by my place. Good morning from Mississippi, USA. I hope you have a wonderful morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my stars! That's a story for Jack Hannah or Wild Kingdom. At least you got your Margarita.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could only think of Caddyshack! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only reason for playing golf is the nature scenes and the big drink waiting at the 19th hole. Thanks, again, for hosting us;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! You sure deserved your Margarita!
    Cheers, Klaus

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Great story! Too crazy not to be true :-) Do you always play golf with your camera slung around your neck? Must make it hard to swing the clubs. Very good presence of mind to get the groundhog's picture in all of that drama going on around you! 3 cheers for the Mockingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww man...what does it say about me that I was rooting for the hawk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Groundhogs - they're not just for breakfast any more!

    These critters are right up there with rabbits as the most annoying wild life - they eat my flowers, climb the fences into my veg garden and then they bare their teeth at me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wild Kingdom, CT .. I love it .. and I think there's a children's book in this ...

    All we have here in the way of wild life is the occasional ... ewww .. NOT in MY apartment!


    :-Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cracked up at first thinking you were doing something from Caddyshack. How cute that the mockingbird done what he done. Good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure needed that story today - Thank you so much for making me smile!!! Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BTW - I have to admit that I was thinking like the birdlady --- Caddyshack kept running thru my head while reading your story! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL. What goes around, comes around, I always say... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. How do you guys play with all that drama going on LOL. This is a cute story and I bet the reason the limb was empty was because you had a little drinkie already LOL LOL!

    Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do not care for carnage either. Unfortunately, we saw some in Canada last week. Uggg.

    Great shot!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thought. It's appreciated! xoabb